Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

White (not) Like Me

     There are, I think, certain “categories” which are (and it pains me to say this in a blog entitled “no category) inescapable in our world. I believe, for example, that it would be irresponsible of me to ignore the influence that things like my race, my class, my gender, and my sexual orientation have had on my life. Some of my awareness in this area has come easily. For example, I have always found it empowering to think about my working class roots, and how growing up in a family that didn't have money for vacations, clothes, or toys has instilled in me a strong sense of humility, dignity, and pride. And yet, other realizations, like acknowledging my social privilege as a White person in America, has always been a bit more challenging. This makes sense. I mean, being the underdog is way cool. Identifying one's advantages and privileges? Not so much. And yet, over the years I have actually found it quite liberating to develop an appreciation of the advantages I have had as a result of my skin color. So, as a reminder to myself, here's a short list of some of these "advantages" as I've come to understand them (Note that a few of these items are taken from the article White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh).
  • When engaging in a financial or legal interaction, I can feel pretty confident that being White will not work against me.
  • I can turn on the television and see lots of other White people on nearly every channel.
  • I can swear or lose my cool without anyone attributing my behavior to the aggressiveness of my race.
  • I can drop out of school without anyone attributing it to the inferiority of my race.
  • I can be incompetent at my job without coworkers thinking that I got the job because of my race.
  • I can be late to work without anyone attributing it to the laziness and disorganization of my race.
  • I can succeed without others labeling me as a credit to my race.
  • I can dress in second-hand clothes without worrying if people will think that I am poor or homeless.
  • I can speak in public without feeling any pressure that the speaking ability of my entire race is on trial.
  • I can remain oblivious to the cultures and customs of people of color (who constitute a majority of the world’s population) without ever feeling inadequate for my cluelessness.
  • I am a cultural insider in America. The original settlers and founding fathers looked like me. As do a vast, vast majority of congressmen, CEOs, bank executives, stock brokers, college professors, revolutionary and civil war heroes, presidents (43 out of 44), doctors, lawyers, etc. etc.
  • I can be a ruthless killer and still be celebrated as the lovable star of a show like the Sopranos.
  • I can celebrate the history of my ancestors in America without needing a token gesture like a special month.
  • I am free to act as if race doesn’t matter. 

While this list deals specifically with my race, I am sure that I could do something very similar regarding my gender, my sexual orientation, my U.S. citizenship, my background in Christianity, and any other areas where I have received some privilege in this society. It could be an interesting exercise, but I think that this list gets to the point, which is to recognize that I am in part a product of my various social memberships, many of which provide me with privilege in the American hierarchy. And yet, I'm now left with this question, which is 'where do I go from here?' Because after a while it becomes somewhat limiting to sit around and ponder one's privilege. At some point, you have to figure out how you're going to move past all of that guilt, and use your privilege to make a positive impact on the world. So, in the spirit of moving forward, here is a list of some things that I can do, as a White person in America, to live an adult life that is both informed by my racial privilege, but also self-affirming and transcendent.
  • First, never become that cliché, defensive, White male who denies the importance of race in the world. It’s unhealthy, maladaptive, and just plain unattractive.
  • At the same time, never become that cliché, narrow minded White male who says that race is everything in the world. It's just as unhealthy, maladaptive, and unattractive as the first point.
  • Realize that my racial and ethnic heritage is neither all good nor all bad. I know, for example, that there were individuals in my direct lineage that owned slaves (literally bought, sold, and whipped other human beings from Africa less than 150 years ago). I also know, however, that I have things in my history as a European American that are amazing, inspirational, and transcendent. The Beatles, Joseph Campbell, and Pretzles, to name a few examples. So, acknowledge the bad, celebrate the good, and never do too much of either.
  • Acknowledge my power, but never relinquish it. Use it for good.
  • Last, but not least. Understand that I am an individual capable of incredible transformation and growth, and that my actions can define this world far more than this world can ever define me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike,

    I know you asked for my thoughts on this post, but I haven't given 'em because I think you've said everything that needs saying here! Really powerful and moving stuff, especially as it builds to the final item in your second list.

    As you know, one of the ultimate goals of my redefinition of American identity is to come up with a definition to which us white Americans can feel equally a part, and so my only worry about an emphasis on the ways we've been privileged is that could make many Americans feel under attack and so not welcome in these newer concepts. But I know that's not your emphasis here, and I think the whole of your post would do the opposite, make clear the value and positive stakes of coming to this perspective.

    Great stuff!
    Ben

    ReplyDelete