Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Four Functions of Myth

In anticipation of some future posts on developing my personal mythology, I wanted to share what Joseph Campbell has identified as the four purposes of myth. When I first read this a few weeks ago, I was pretty blown away by his precise breakdown of such a seemingly complex subject. And, as I've thought more about his ideas, I've come to realize that they will make for a pretty awesome framework as I try to map out all of the various religions, philosophies, sciences, and arts that comprise my personal mythology. In any case, here it is. These are the four functions of all mythological systems...




1. The philosophical - Being creatures with a consciousness, we are challenged by life in ways that other creatures our not. Namely we have to come to terms with many of life's more unsatisfactory realities, such as the notion that life feeds off of death. One major function of mythology, then, has been to help the individual to reconcile him or herself with these difficult realities. Campbell notes that there have been three basic mythological responses to the negative aspects of life. 1. Many ancient mythologies, including those from Native America, are completely embracing of all aspects of life, including the brutal human need to kill for survival. These mythological systems often include barbaric rituals, and stories of ancient meetings between men and animals in which the animals gave the men permission to kill them as long as they returned their spirits to the earth. 2. Other mythological traditions such as Jainism are wholly rejecting of the negative aspects of human existence, such as the practice of killing to perpetuate life. Jains will often suffer themselves so as not to kill any other living beings. 3. A third approach which includes both Zoroastrianism and Christianity have developed views in which the world contains both good and evil forces. They embrace those aspects of the world seen as bringing them closer to the good force, and reject those aspects of life seen as resulting from the evil forces.




2. The cosmological - This one's fairly simple. Mythology, throughout human history, has served to provide humans with an awe-inspiring image of the cosmos and its various dimensions. In the modern world, this function has been largely replaced by science.




3. The sociological - Another fairly straight forward function. Being the moral compass of a society, mythological systems have also provided societies with a shared and clearly defined sense of right and wrong, as defined by the Gods. In this way, mythology has served to validate and maintain a social order. In modern society, this function has been replaced by the secular legal system.




4. The psychological - Finally, mythological systems have provided individuals in societies with guidance on how to pass through the various stages of life. This is an area where old myths have become difficult to translate to the modern world. As Campbell points out, while old mythologies were effective in helping indoctrinate individuals into the tribe, they seem less useful with regards to the modern Western notion of growing up, which requires young people to discover who they are as individuals. Consequently, there aren't really any myths that carry people through this more modern manifestation of adulthood.


Whew! That's a lot to ponder. What I'll be doing next is incorporating these four categories into my personal mythology, which will be a permanent page on this blog that can be accessed from the home page. Beneath each of Campbell's four categories, I'll be detailing the myths, artistic objects, scientific concepts, and philosophies that enrich my life and provide me with my own functioning, living mythology.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,

    Really interesting stuff, and I can't wait to see how the Personal Mythology page develops.

    Not to be Debbie Downer, but I did want to suggest either a fifth category or an aspect of the sociological that is slightly more on the negative side: the exclusionary. It seems to me, certainly in terms of how Americans have constructed our own national mythology but also in regard to other mythologies, that another function is to define clearly who the "them" is, who is outside of our particular order and community, and thus, usually, who the enemy is.

    Obviously I don't think you should spend too much time figuring out that element of your mythology. But it might be interesting to consider whether you have at any point in your life done that, as I imagine most of us have (I'm sure I have in one way or another), created a personal mythology in that more exclusionary or "us/me vs. them" mode. Just a thought, in any case.

    Thanks,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben, Thanks for the comment, and it's a good one. I would say that, in the past (and I'm sure still in the present), I have developed beliefs that function to separate myself from others. And I agree that a lot of entry-level engagement with mythology is about forming this separation. And, yet I'm hesitant to think of this as a genuine function of myth, because I think the people that take these myths all the way to higher states of enlightenment get past that. For example, I've heard about dialogues between Christian and Buddhist Monks in which they talk about almost identical experiences with just some different words thrown in. So I actually think that ultimately, and particularly when viewed through a comparative lense, myth is about moving past group think, and connecting with a universal human experience

    Just one more point, since I'm on a Joseph Campbell kick. He has a few definitions that might help clarify my point. He, rather tongue in cheek, used to define mythology as "other people's religions, and religion as "misunderstood mythology." So, I guess you could say that I'm very consciously choosing the word mythology over religion to avoid having to deal with the exact problem you bring up. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike,

    Thanks for the further thoughts. Totally makes sense, and I do again definitely agree with your emphases and focal points here. I like the separation of religion from mythology especially. Thanks,

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben Thanks for reading, and commenting. I'm happy that my personal mythology project is of interest to at least one other person out there.

    ReplyDelete