Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Malcolm X

As a footnote to my last post, I wanted to add the following link to a clip of A.O. Scott discussing the movie Malcolm X. Watching the film Malcolm X as a young college student might have been the single most important event in my developing an understanding of race in America. Even more so because it wasn’t something I did as a class assignment. It was something I did with a bunch of Black kids from Philly who lived in my dorm. As a White kid from the country, this was a pretty epic and earth-shattering interaction (and Spoon, wherever you are, thanks!) I also find it kind of poetic that this movie had such a profound impact on me, because Malcolm X was an individual who himself was remarkably open to change. If you haven't seen the movie, definitely check it out, if only to see Denzel Washington in one of the great Hollywood performances of my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment